As they say, prevention is better than cure! But with a combined effort by you and your dentist at Warrnambool Dental, you can help prevent or at least manage the damage caused by tooth decay and gum disease.
We start your preventative program with a detailed investigation of the teeth and gums. We often need to take X-rays at this point as they show us where you might have issues that are not visible otherwise, particularly between the teeth and below the gum-line. During the examination we will also discuss how your diet is impacting on the health of your teeth and gums.
We will develop a preventative program that is specific to your needs. To help prevent tooth decay and gum disease in the meantime you can:
- reduce your intake of sweet foods and acidic beverages
- cut back on alcohol consumption
- use a fluoride toothpaste to brush teeth twice a day
- floss your teeth once a day
- schedule a trip to the dentist at least every six months
We can also discuss your brushing and flossing techniques, fluoride treatments, the use of mouthguards when playing sport and other preventative dental care measures.